From Spalding’s official athletic almanac (1913) a picture of the world’s greatest all-around athlete, James Thorpe, winner of the Pentathalon and Decathalon at the 1912 Olympic games in Stockholm.
His Olympic records, however, are not recognized officially by the IOC. Read more at Smithsonian Magazine.
Tumblr doesn’t have room to begin to describe how incredible this man was, but a few books have been written about him if you’re interested.
9 Notes/ Hide
- garowyn reblogged this from smithsonianlibraries
- rob-anybody likes this
- janeyford reblogged this from riversidearchives
- congressarchives likes this
- ninaprettyballerina likes this
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- sunnyfrankenstein likes this
- riversidearchives reblogged this from smithsonianlibraries
- ucsdspecialcollections likes this
- todaysdocument likes this
- smithsonianlibraries posted this